Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oh... ebooks (an introduction)


If you love books like I do, you're probably wondering why in the world and how books went digital. Believe it or not, the electronic book (eBook) was thought of in 1971 when a project called the Project Gutenberg (which was the first digital library) came to be. Then, with the rise of the internet in the 1990's, eBooks exploded and publishers became bolder and bolder by publishing books both in print and digital versions. In 1995, Amazon became the first main online bookstore. In 1989, ten books were digitalized through Project Gutenberg. Today most schools have online libraries, and the Ipad, Nook and Kindle are trending like new fashion and most if not every major book is available on a digital platform.
As you can tell from the title of my blog, I am not very happy with the way things are going for books. I'm an avid book reader, lover and my question is: how can you give up the smell, the touch and the feeling of a paper book for the cold, hard metal or plastic of an iPad? Hopefully in writing this blog, I'll discuss and help you discover the good and bad sides of digitalization (especially of books) and make amends with it.

3 comments:

  1. I hadf no idea that books were avalible in digital forms since the 1970's. I didnt even know that we had a valid digital system prior to the internet that came about during the 1990's. That was one informational eye opener for myself while reading your first blog. I agree i like books to call me a geek if need be but i dont care. I dont mind reading in my free time especially if the book intrest my vivid imagination. I like learning and i feel that the ipda is a waste of time. I feel that people will need glasses being that they will be constantly staring at a digital screen. Thats my two cents on ipad usage lol .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE READING WITH A PASSSION... SO I CANT AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE. I RARELY GO ON THE INTERNET EITHER, BUT I PREFER READING ONLINE THEN HOLD A NASTY PAPER BACK BOOK.... AND I AM BAD AT TECHNOLOGY TOO SOO AN IPAD WOULDN'T HELP MY SITUATION EITHER.. I HOPE THEY DO NOT GET RID OF BOOK, THOSE BOOKS CAN BE RESEARCH MATERIALS FOR LATER DOWN IN THE YEARS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought eBooks were just the new 'fad'... I hate them with a passion. I must admit however that they are here to stay. I hope they will fill a purpose in the medium/long term: attract more people to the joys of reading. I'll use the analogy of the quote by a famous jazz player in the 60's talking about Rock and Roll (and I'm paraphrasing): let them (read the younger generation) listen; if they do, they'll eventually come to jazz...

    ReplyDelete